Dlamini strike sinks Arrows


AmaZulu got their first Absa Premiership win under coach Craig Rosslee when they defeated Lamontville Golden Arrows 1-0 at the King Zwelithini Stadium on Saturday night.


Ayanda Dlamini scored the only goal of the match midway through the second half to secure a deserved win for Usthu which also moved the club off the bottom of the table.


The first real chance of the match fell for the away side in the 18th minute when a deep cross from Nkanyiso Cele found Ayanda Dlamini inside the box, but he sent his header over the crossbar.


Two minutes later the action was at the other end as AmaZulu goalkeeper stood up strongly to parry a well-struck shot from Thamsanqa Gabuza.


From there it was all AmaZulu as they caused numerous problems for the home side mainly down the right flank, but Khumalo blasted his shot over the crossbar in the 24th minute after he was set up by Thokozani Mshengu.


Two minutes later Njabulo Manqana should have broken the deadlock when a cross from Ayanda Dlamini found him unmarked inside the box, but he curled his shot wide of the far post.


Then it was Ayanda Dlamini who wasted back-to-back opportunities as he sent his shot over the crossbar from close range in the 37th minute, before he was denied by a good save from Steinbors two minutes later.


Arrows came close to taking the lead against the run of play in the 43rd minute when Gabuza was put through by Ntlantla Zothwane on the left, but Kapini managed to make the save to keep the deadlock intact going into the break.


The home side came back from the break with more determination but Gabuza failed to hit the target on two occasions, finding the sidenetting in the 54th minute, before sending another effort wide two minutes later.


The opening goal did eventually arrive in the 60th minute as Manqana played a great pass to release Ayanda Dlamini on the left and this time he calmly placed his shot at the far post, leaving Steinbors in no man’s land.


Arrows were down but not out and they almost leveled matters two minutes later when Tshepo Liphoko’s cross left Kapini wrongfooted, but fortunately for the visitors the ball came off the upright.


Manqoba Mngqithi’s side continued to search for the equaliser but Jabulani Nene fired straight at Kapini in the 75th minute, before Liphoko sent his low shot wide ten minutes later.


Then in added time the AmaZulu captain pulled off a brilliant save to secure maximum points for his side as he dived to his left to parry a strong header from Lucky Nguzana at the near post after the substitute had connected with a cross from Liphoko.


The win moved Usuthu from the bottom of the table to 15th place with 16 points, while Arrows remain in 11th place with 19 points.


Share Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *